Aloo Chana

March 10, 2012

Aloo Chana

This is another lucky-combination-turned-awesome that I made recently when there wasn't much in the pantry to choose from - a rich, creamy, mildly sweet and spicy coconut curry with potatoes (aloo) and chickpea (chana) that satisfies the appetite and delights the taste buds. It is great served with crispy puris or papadums. As with all Indian curries, it is best eaten with the fingers (Indians believe that in order to fully enjoy a meal one should involve as many of the senses as possible - taste, smell, sight and touch).

Aloo Chana
  • 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tb grated ginger
  • 25-30 almonds (about 1/4 cup), soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, peeled and coarsely blended
  • 1 Tb mild Madras curry powder (I like it for its beautiful yellow colour)
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 can (400 ml) creamy coconut milk
  • About 500 g chickpea (from an 800 g can)
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup tomato sauce (I had a can of chopped tomatoes and scooped out some sauce, but you can use tomato purée/passata or 1-2 Tb concentrated tomato paste)


Heat the oil in a pot on medium. Add ginger and stir for a few seconds till fragrant. Add the almonds and spices and stir again. Add the potatoes and mix everything well.


Add the water, mix, let it come to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid. Let it cook for about 10 minutes until half of the water is absorbed, then add the coconut milk and salt to taste. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the potatoes become a little tender and add the chickpea. Cover the pan and let simmer until the curry thickens and the potatoes are nice and tender. Stir once or twice to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. At this point add the tomato sauce and cook for 5-10 more minutes.


You don't want to add too much, because after a few minutes the sauce will turn darker and it needs to remain yellow-brown. The more tomato sauce/paste you add, the more brown-redish it will become.

Served hot, this curry has an intense flavour; served warm, it leaves a wonderful aftertaste.

Enjoy and spread the magic:)


A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each recipe I post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you made this recipe, then please take a minute of your time to leave me a comment. And if you like it, please share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all in advance!

6 comments:

Johan Rawvegan

Tried a version of this. It was amazing, best curry I've had since going vegan. Thank you :)

Vegan Magic

Thank you so much Johan for your feedback, I'm very happy that you enjoyed it. Indeed this curry is amazing. I've made it several times and haven't tired of it yet:)

Anonymous

I followed your recipe, but did make some substitutions because I didn't have all your exact ingredients at the time. it still came out great, so I can't wait to try it your authentic way. I'm glad I discovered your website. Even my meat eating husband liked this recipe.

Vegan Magic

Anonymous, that's fantastic news! I'm very happy both of you enjoyed it:) This is one of the simplest, most delicious curries I've made. I appreciate the feedback, thank you so much for taking the time to write:)

Kalinda

Currently eating a piping hot bowl of this over rice. YUM!! I think next time I will have it with parathas instead of the rice but it will certainly be made again!

Vegan Magic

Kalinda, I'm so happy you tried and enjoyed this curry. So simple, yet so delicious, right? Thanks very much for the feedback!

Previous Next Home