Certain foods I like turn into temporary obsessions; I crave and eat them often until I just can't have any more, then I go for long periods of time without them. The same thing happened with these banana muffins. They are delightfully aromatic and fluffy when warm and I couldn't possibly have them without walnuts. The muffins are equally delicious eaten cold, they're even crunchier this way, and keep well for a couple of days in an airtight container.
If I were to make a list of my favourite muffins, these would be at the top.
This recipes makes 6 large muffins (cup size: 7.5 cm/3" top / 5 cm/2" base / 3 cm/1 1/4" depth).
Banana Walnut Muffins
- 1 cup organic all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unrefined caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (if you use cinnamon regularly, try to use Ceylon - see my notes on Carrot Cake)
Note: I use a regular teaspoon, not the measurement.
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter (alternatively use sunflower oil or applesauce)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice with pulp
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease the muffin cups with oil and line them with paper cases.
- In a bowl whisk the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Mash the bananas with a fork, leaving some small chunks. Add the melted butter and mix. Pour over the dry ingredients and add the orange juice. Mix until the liquid is incorporated and add the walnuts.
- Divide the batter equally between the 6 cups (3/4 full), place a walnut half in the centre and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (the time depends on how large the bananas are and the oven).
- Place the tray onto a wire rack and let cool for 15-20 minutes. Remove the muffins from the tray and put them on a plate. Dust them with a little powdered sugar and serve. Alternatively let them cool completely and keep them in an airtight container.
These muffins are delicious for breakfast, picnics, tea parties or just as a snack.
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each recipe I post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you made this recipe, then please take a minute of your time to leave me a comment. And if you like it, please share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all in advance!