Quesadillas are famous Mexican appetizers or snacks (the name comes from the Spanish queso, which means cheese). A flour or corn tortilla is stuffed with a cheese filling, folded in half and grilled or fried until the cheese has melted. To save time, I prefer to use two tortillas to make a large quesadilla and then cut it in six pieces.
Quesadillas are usually served with guacamole and sour cream (Elaina Love has a fabulous recipe for raw vegan sour cream). They are very easy to make and you can add anything you like, vegetables, beans, vegan sausages, tomato salsa, herbs, spices etc. It is also a great way to use up leftovers. As long as you add cheese, any combination you make will turn out delicious :)
This is not an actual recipe, rather a suggestion for a combination that I greatly enjoyed.
What you need
- mushrooms, washed, sliced
- black beans, washed, drained
- sweet corn, drained
- tomato salsa
- vegan mozzarella, grated
- vegan cheddar, grated
- tortilla wraps
- Sauté the mushrooms in 1 tsp oil, add a splash of red wine and soy sauce (optional), a pinch of salt and pepper and let all the liquid evaporate. Add the beans and keep aside.
- Make the tomato salsa (or buy ready made): sauté some finelly chopped onion and garlic until soft, add chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, basil and fresh parsley. Let cool.
- Mix the grated mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- In a double pan place one tortilla and spread it with 2-3 Tb tomato salsa. Add mushrooms, beans and sweet corn (about 2 Tb each) and top generously with cheese. Place the second tortilla on top, press it down a bit so everything sticks together, then cover the pan (if you don't have a double pan, use a pan with a lid).
- Place the pan on medium heat and let the bottom tortilla become crispy, without browning it too much. Invert the pan and let the other tortilla get crispy. By then the cheese will have melted. Remove onto a plate. If you're using a lid, invert the quesadilla onto the lid, then place it back into the pan. Use the lid to remove it when done. Slice and serve warm.
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each recipe I post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you made this recipe, then please take a minute of your time to leave me a comment. And if you like it, please share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all in advance!