A couple of years ago I made a lot of vegan pizza and experimented with different bases and toppings, while focusing on getting the same unmistakable flavour. The easiest was by far the puff pastry one because it involves the least amount of work and many brands don't require freezing, only a low temperature. The main issue with vegan pizza is whether the cheese will melt. There are many brands out there that do and here I've used Cheezly. This pizza has it all: it's light, smoky, spicy, sweet, it's got lots of melted mozzarella and, like any great pizza, it's finger-lickin' good:)
Of course you can use your favourite toppings. With this pizza I wanted a mix of tastes. The pictures pretty much speak for themselves, but just in case this is how I made it:
- puff pastry block (or ready-rolled puff pastry sheet)
- barbecue sauce or ketchup (I like bbq woodsmoke sauce)
- vegan mozzarella, shredded
- spicy vegan sausages, cut into thin pieces
- red bell pepper, seeded, cut in half and thinly sliced
- grape tomatoes, sliced in 3
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, optional
Take the chilled pastry block out of the fridge 15-20 minutes before use. Meanwhile prepare the other ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut the puff pastry block in half or quarters, depending on the size of your tray. Use a little flour to roll out the pieces until 0.5 - 0.7 cm thick. Sprinkle some semolina on the tray to prevent the pizza from sticking.
Spread some barbecue sauce over the pastry sheets, leaving almost 1 cm border.
Spread mozzarella in a thick layer (you can sprinkle some garlic powder if you like).
Add the sausages and red bell pepper slices.
Top with tomato slices and sprinkle some oregano over them (season with salt and pepper if you like).
Bake for 20-25 minutes (the time will depend on your oven). How to know when it's done:
- while baking, the pastry sheet will puff up and look as if it's bubbling inside. When it stops bubbling and turns golden-brown around the edges it's ready
- mozzarella is fully melted
- there is an intense aroma coming from the oven
- tomatoes will be roasted.
Let cool for a couple of minutes in the tray and serve. You can top with more barbecue sauce or ketchup.
That was easy, wasn't it?:)
Enjoy and spread the magic!:)
I put a lot of time, effort and passion into each recipe I post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you made this recipe, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment below. And if you like it, please share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all in advance!