Gözleme with cheese and sausage

January 03, 2012

Gözleme

Gözleme is a traditional savoury Turkish pastry with various fillings, mostly including cheese. The name is given by the brown spots that form during cooking and resemble eyes (göz = eye). Authentic gözleme is made from handmade unleavened dough that is rolled out into a thin sheet, filled and folded either in half or as an envelope and grilled until golden and spotted.

I found out about this dish from Laura Adamache's blog. Her idea of adding dill captured me instantly; I love the flavour of fresh dill in hot foods. With so many Turkish shops in my area I wasn't going to make this pastry from scratch, so I bought some yufka sheets. This is a lazy man's dream. It's so quick and easy to prepare and the result absolutely delicious. I used a combination of vegan mozzarella, cheddar, spicy sausages and fresh dill and everyone loved them.

One pack of yufka contains 3 round sheets (about 70 cm/27.5"). I bought 2 packs and the first time I used 2 sheets and made 4 gözleme. The second time I used the remaining 4 sheets, doubled the ingredients and made 8 gözleme. If you prefer not to use vegan cheese (some of it contains soy), you can opt for sautéed spinach or kale with garlic and sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top for a cheesy flavour. Yufkas are thicker than filo pastry. If you can't find them, you can use 3 filo sheets and brush them very lightly with milk so they get cooked through.

Gözleme


What you need...
  • 2 yufka sheets
  • 1 pack (190 g) mozzarella, shredded on the large side of the grater
  • 1 pack (190 g) cheddar (the orange type), also shredded
  • 4 vegan hot dogs or a mix of mini sausages, chopped
  • handful of dill, chopped
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used oat milk)
  • a little oil for frying

How to...

Place a sheet on your worktop/table and cut it in half. Gently fold one half and keep it aside.


Lightly brush the yufka with milk to soften it. Mix the 2 cheeses together and sprinkle 1/4 in the middle of the sheet. Add 1/4 of the sausages or hot dogs.


Sprinkle some dill on top.


Fold the sides over the middle part and brush with milk.


Fold this like a letter, bringing the top 1/3 over the middle.


Fold the bottom part over the top part, to create a pocket (I turned it around to give you a better look). Flip it over and keep aside. Handle with care, as the sheets can tear. Prepare the other 3 gözleme.


Add a few drops of oil to your pan and heat on medium. Fry the gözleme on one side until golden and crispy, then flip over using a spatula and let the other side cook.


Remove onto a plate, cut into 2 or 3 pieces and serve.

Gözleme

Gözleme are basically appetizers, but if you like them as much as I do, you will easily turn them into a main course:)

Enjoy!


A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each recipe I post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you made this recipe, then please take a minute of your time to leave me a comment. And if you like it, please share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all in advance!

4 comments:

Anonymous

Looks and sounds wonderful! I do wonder if you could substitute the phylo with a tortilla??

Vegan Magic

Hi, I'm so happy you like this recipe:) Yes, you can definitely use a tortilla. It is even thicker and a lot smaller than yufka pastry, so you won't be able to do the wrapping. But just spread the mix on half of the tortilla and fold it over. Grill on both sides till crispy and cheese has melted and cut it in half. It will be more like a quesadilla. Let me know how that works out for you. Thanks.

Anonymous

Thanks Adya ... I tried this recipe yesterday and it was delicious... :)

Vegan Magic

I'm so happy you liked it. Thank you for trying it out:)

Previous Next Home